Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Dorky Song, by DianaDee Osborne

DORKY SONG
ALBUM:      Amazing Hope 'n' Humor
SONG LOCATION:      http://dianadeeosbornesongs.com/Songs-2008-2012.php

TO HEAR SONG FREE,       CLICK HERE 

Song Story:  THE  LYRICS
      Like this song title, this is one of my funniest stories:  It takes me almost 90 minutes to reach my “final drafts” studio, Valley Worship and Praise. (God has honored me with enough songs to need 2 studios.... and provided J&T Studio when I had never even considered the fact that we were “getting behind” in recording all the great song ideas God has been providing.)

      To use that travel time wisely, I listen to CDs I've created containing recordings that I have made in my home studio, sitting at the keyboard and “just playing” and creating loops and drumkit tracks and instrument tracks.  (Sometimes rather randomly.... and they come out great with God's help!  Having THE Creator for inspiration is AWE-some!)

      As I listened to the recording of “UNTITLED HAPPY IN C”  (ok, so it's not an original song name, but it's descriptive!),  I was passing an exit only 8 miles away from my studio's exit.  By the time I got to the correct exit---
      I  realized that I was singing what became the actual words to verse 1,  in this melody-- a true prayer, “THIS IS A DORKY SONG.”  

Song Story:  THE  MUSIC
      So   1/2 hour later,  VWP Studio recorded  Verses 1 and 2 which I had sung on the interstate.  However, since I'd just “written” this song, I got a speck off key at the end of verse one, and  I  REALLY blew it at the end of verse 2, so much that I laughed and laughed.

      And laughed more as my producer Claxton hit the “stop recording” button, slowly swiveled in his chair toward me, and just silently looked at me with that raised eyebrow  he sometimes gives me ---
      that silently says with amusement,    “Well, shall we try that AGAIN???”  When we listened to the playback,  we realized that Claxton had done something he never does.... he also started laughing, and it ended up on the recording.

     But I enjoyed the playback so much that I decided to keep that draft a week to enjoy.  During the week of prayer, I decided that it just proved the song's point:  We ARE rather dorky without God's empowering that He promises to those of us who ask, in Ephesians 3:20. God's grace IS sufficient in our weakness.  He can use dorky people like me... what an honor!

     I took the basic melody, turned the "plain" chords into "color" chords with lots of arpeggios, started layering in violin and flute orchestration, and added the gorgeous guitar touches. I literally just 'dropped in" notes at random.  I'm convinced:  This is another example of the Holy Spirit's creative empowering.  By the way:  The original  "UNTITLED HAPPY"  had an "accidental" overlap that was off time by just a  fraction, an  "accidentally" duplicated drum track. That gives the song the weird off-center feel for Part 1.   Dedicated to our HELPER God,  24 June 2011.


Lyrics:  
1
This is a dorky song.  It has a DUMB melody.
This is a dorky song. But it's AMAZING what
God, MIGHTY GOD, can DO with dorky songs..... and dorky ME.

2
This is a dorky song.  It has a DUMB melody.
This is a dorky song. But it's AMAZING what
God's HOLY SPIRIT EMPOWERS in  dorky songs..... and dorky ME.
:)

SCRIPTURE
Jesus spoke to Paul who wrote these words in 2nd Corinthians 12:9MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU,  for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”  Paul's response was that he -- and we -- should not WORRY about feeling DORKY -- though he didn't use THAT word! -- but instead, use that fact to show others that  YES, it is the POWER OF CHRIST IN US that helps us. Second Corinthians, 12: 9.

LONG INSTRUMENTAL SECTION

3
This is a GORGEOUS song.  God empowered its dumb melody.
Now it's a gorgeous song -- like you and I can be.......
WHEN we pray Ephesians 3,  God empowers us:  We're not dorky.

REFERENCES:
Ephesians 3:20-21Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,  to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
2nd Corinthians 12:9 and 10  (New King James Version) - entire verse (only 1/2 is in song).
    “And He [Jesus] said 'MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT   for you,
for My strength is made perfect in weakness. '  Therefore most gladly I will rather BOAST in my infirmities, that the POWER OF CHRIST my rest upon me.  I take PLEASURE in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs.... For when I am WEAK, then I am strong.” 
When YOU are weak, rejoice in knowing that this is your witness to other people!  Your life will show God's power through your human weakness!   
-------------------------------------------

©2011 DianaDee Osborne (all material), all rights reserved.  FREE personal usage; see website.
With thanks to BlueLetterBible.org for scriptures tool.
UPDATED from original blog publication 8/31/2012 5:16 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment