Saturday, December 8, 2012

What If Israel Praised? (Psalm 79) by DianaDee Osborne

WHAT  IF  ISRAEL  PRAISED?   (PSALM 79)
ALBUM:      Amazing  Him  'n' History
Song location  http://DianaDeeOsborneSongs.com/NEW-Songs.php
Song Story:  THE  MUSIC:   I selected a lot of minor chords to create the somber background matching Psalm 79's feel.  Then I worked into the music, the old hymn I've been singing to myself for months that I was sure God was guiding me to use "in some song".  Not until I began researching it (to be sure it was a Public Domain Song!) did I learn that the music used in the old hymn was a Hebrew melody.

Song Story:  THE  BACKGROUND:  
When I was began high school, all the “popular” girls had sweet high voices. 
I was anything but popular, so I figured I'd try to sound like them. At home -- making sure my little brother wasn't around to laugh at me! -- I'd practice talking with a light high voice.
Not a successful experiment!
         As an adult, I learned something intriguing when I began playing piano at the nursing home's weekly worship service -- None of the hard-of-hearing people had any trouble hearing my deep throated voice even when I spoke normally. Even more intriguing:
          In June 2006, I began daily prayers that God would improve my voice. Without me practicing enough to claim it was from anything but God's answering, my voice stretched from a low (bass) E (which I discovered while singing “Squeaky Wheel Praising”) to a high F -- 26 half steps! 
          Yet God still gives me a deep speaking voice that sounds so soul-full when reading these sad scriptures of what we people do to Him. Of how much we hurt Him. And ANGER Almighty God with human plottings to seek our selfish control over people.
Song Story:  THE  LYRICS:   
I “FOUND” Psalm 79: 9 just “in passing” looking for another verse. And I gasped with surprise and joy at the sudden insight from God:  
      The Nation of Israel ALREADY had a system of sacrifice for the atonement of sins.  GOD HIMSELF  set it up  right AFTER the Ten Commandments  (see Exodus 29, for example). 
Yet through this Psalm they are asking GOD -- not themselves -- to PROVIDE atonement of sins. Sacrifice is based on what we individuals can do.
Israel was prophetically praying this truth -- there is nothing that any human can do to atone for sins. Only God can. And God DID -- this verse is yet another prophecy of Jesus as the ANSWER to Israel's prayer of Psalm 79.
INTRODUCTION
TECHNICALLY, this song belongs in the “Amazing Psalms 'n' Promises” album since it quotes Psalm 79.   But it is HISTORY -- 
current, 21st century history.   And a  fulfilled history of Israel's prayer in Psalm 79.
Part 2's melody is traditional Hebrew Yigdal of Daniel Ben Judah. Verse 1 is based on Thomas Olivers' “The God of Abraham Praise”    (Public Domain, CCLI #111149)
LYRICS 
1
What if Israel praised her God as
Israel once PROMISED?
What if Israel raised one voice, and joined together in worshiping The LORD?
What if Israel stopped sounding like all others?!
What if Israel remembered that God loves her?

INTERLUDE -- Scripture reading.
Oh, do not remember former iniquities against us! Let Your tender mercies come speedily to meet us, For we have been brought very low. Help us, O God of our salvation, For the glory of Your name; And deliver us, and provide atonement for our
sins for Your name's sake!
Why should the nations say, "Where is their God?"
Let there be known among the nations in our sight the avenging of the BLOOD of Your servants which has been shed. So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture, will give You thanks forever. We will show forth Your praise to all generations!
---Psalms 79 (New Living Translation)
2
What if Israel once more prayed her Psalms?
and cried as one Nation to LORD God?
What if she prayed Psalm 79, and told the World her strength IS in THE LORD GOD?
What if Israel stopped sounding like all others?!
What if Israel declared her strength is LORD God?

3 -- Hymn
The God of Abr'ham praise, Who reigns enthrone above.
The Ancient of Eternal Days, and God of Love!
Jehovah is His Name! The Only Great “I AM” !
One day all nations SHALL bow to Him -- Israel's God.... THE One God.
4
What if every Israelite and Christian united in prayer to THE Lord God.
What if we prayed Psalm 79 and praised God as witness to our TRUST in Him?
What if God's people stopped sounding like all others?!
Jews and Christians joined in worshiping the LORD God?

5 -- Hymn
The God of Abraham reigns and laughs at the nations
who dare to think God can't exist to reign over them!
YHWH is His Name! [pronounced YahWay]
The Creator of all things and nations.
One day all nations SHALL bow to Him -- Israel's God.... THE One God.

ENDING SCRIPTURE
Psalm 2: “Why do nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together against the LORD and against His anointed, saying 'let us break their bonds in PIECES and cast away their cords from us.' He who sits in the heavens shall laugh. The Lord shall hold them in derision. THEN He shall speak to them in His wrath. And distress them in His deep displeasure.”    -- Psalm 2, verses 1-5 New KJV

God's SUPPORTING WORDS:
“Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say: 'Return, backsliding Israel,' says the LORD; 'I will not cause My anger to fall on you. For   I AM  merciful,' says the LORD; 'I will not remain angry forever.:  -- JEREMIAH  3:  12   promise

"Return, O backsliding children," says the LORD; "for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion."  --JEREMIAH 3:  14  promise.


"I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely, For My anger has turned away from him."  --HOSEA 14:  4  promise

©2012 DianaDee Osborne (all material), all rights reserved.  FREE personal usage; see website

No comments:

Post a Comment