Thursday, November 22, 2012

Amazing Grace Doxology (Thanksgiving Day), by DianaDee Osborne

AMAZING  GRACE  DOXOLOGY

ALBUM:      Amazing Grace 'n' Tears
Song location  http://DianaDeeosborneSongs.com/NEW-Songs.php
Song Story:  THE  MUSIC:
             This song was "accidentally" -- in a God-led-way  -- designed as a fun ROUND for congregations, youth groups, and more.  One evening after I'd tuned my guitar for church band practice and had finished running through difficult passages, I still had time before others came....
             so I started “just playing” chord progressions.  As I played these, the traditional words to the Doxology came to mind along with this new melody.
             And then somehow -- God-how -- I realized first that Amazing Grace could be sung to this new song AND it could be sung WITH  the Doxology. Praising God From Whom All Blessings Flow--including Wonderful new songs!  God and I then  created two separate melodies for Amazing Grace verses. Another wow from Creator God!

Song Story:  THE  LYRICS (for a 3-section choir or congregation):
       All lyrics are from ancient hymns that are public domain.  I kept the original melody for Amazing Grace but created a new counter-melody for the ancient praise DOXOLOGY with my added words at the end, "Hallelujah!  We love and praise You God!" Dedicated to THE God we worship, 6 May 2012
LYRICS
PART 1  -  Unison  -- continues throughout song:

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow, praise
Him, all creatures here below,  praise
Father, Son and Holy Ghost!  Hallelujah!  We
love and praise You God!
 

PART 2  -  lower voices begin verse 1 below, as a round with Part 1
1   ---  THIS VERSE IS SUNG TWICE:
Amazing grace!  How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,   was blind, but now I see.

2
‘Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,  and grace my fears relieved;
 How precious did that grace appear   the hour I first believed.

3
Through many dangers,  toils, and snares,  

I have already come;
‘Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,  

and grace will lead me home.
4
The Lord has promised good to me.  His Word, my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be  as long as life endures.

5
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,  

and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,  

a life of joy and peace.
6   
When we’ve been there 10,000 years,  bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise  

       than when we’d first begun!

PART 3  -    higher voices  -- Begin Verse 1 after Part 2 has sung it once.


God's SUPPORTING WORDS:
"And  of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.  For the law was given through Moses, [but] grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" -- John 1: 16-17 new KJV
©2012 DianaDee Osborne (all material), all rights reserved.  FREE personal usage; see website

No comments:

Post a Comment